Wednesday, 20 February 2013

Tune-wired memory

“One two three ...”  yesterday's Thinking Ten words for Take it  away Tuesday:  a ten minute piece of writing which has to start with these words.

Where they led me seemed inevitable.

That song, a bit whiney, ubiquitous at the time,  coloured many weeks as I remember, filled my head again, including that ever-after memorable line (because I don’t think I’d heard it before):   “like taking candy from a baby”.

I Googled it, looked it up on You Tube and was not surprised to find the year was 1966, the year I married.   It had been written and recorded by someone called Len Barry, who I’d swear I’d never heard of, ever.

Despite the pleasure of the memories hearing it again certainly makes me more appreciative of more meaningful lyrics, like many of Arab Strap and The Floating Men.   And many, many more.

But odd how fast and hard it came to me on reading those words

3 comments:

  1. That's how elementary it was! And now it:s stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And in my head too .... Thank you, Sandra. I just had to check it out on Youtube :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sympathy - it's been in MY head ever since ... :(

      Delete